The essential equipment to ride like a champion
Just bought a brand new electric bike? Before you hit the slopes, it's important to take the right accessories with you so you can ride safely and improve your comfort.
Whether it's a classic or an electric bike, the helmet remains the most important piece of equipment and ensures your safety in case of a fall!
Please note that there is a specific regulation for wearing a helmet:
For children under 12 years old
- Wearing a helmet is mandatory, whether it is for a driver or a passenger
- The helmet must be approved (CE)
- Helmets must be fastened while traveling
If you fail to comply with these obligations, you may be fined up to 750 €. In general, it is a fixed fine of 135 €.
For people over 12 years old
- Wearing a helmet is no longer mandatory but is strongly recommended for your safety
If you have a speed bike that reaches 45 km/h, you must have an approved helmet or you will be fined.
With the high speeds that some electric bicycles can reach, it is important that you can be seen but also heard in order to warn pedestrians or motorists of your presence.
Day or night, on the road or in the city, it is very important that you are visible to everyone to avoid an unfortunate accident.
There are several types of lights that you can attach to your bike to increase your visibility at night or in bad weather.
- Reflective strips
- One or more reflectors
The fluorescent vest
If you drive at night, the fluorescent vest becomes an essential equipment to ensure your safety on the road. It will allow you to be spotted from afar by motorists and pedestrians.
Note that the vest must be approved (CE)
The anti-theft device
Victim of its success, the electric bike is unfortunately the object of much covetousness. The anti-theft device becomes THE essential protection for your bike. There are several types of locks.
- The U-locks
- Folding locks
- Frame locks
- Saddle and wheel locks
- Connected anti-theft devices
Here are some tips on how to protect your car:
- Attach your electric bicycle to a fixed point.
- Do not leave the lock lying around on the ground. It becomes easy to break with a sledgehammer.
- Don't hesitate to use 2 locks to deter thieves.
- Attach the bike frame first. This is the most expensive part. If possible, protect the wheels as well.